Last Updated: 12 September 2021
At YouHue FZ-LLC (“YouHue,” “we,” “us,” “our,”), we work hard to ensure that it is a safe place for our students, and protecting their data is a top priority. We believe you should always know what data we collect from you and how it’s used and shared.
YouHue is committed to being transparent with how we handle your information, in full compliance with laws that matter to you such as COPPA, FERPA, and the GDPR.
You should read this policy in full, but here are a few key points:
1. An educator over the age of 18 may use YouHue only after giving their consent, only then is any personal data acquired or stored. Students under the age of 13 may only use YouHue after their school’s representative has confirmed that their parent or guardian has signed and returned the permission form which explains what YouHue is and what we do for classrooms, (or if the school chooses to act as the agent of the parent and consent on the parent’s behalf – commonly referred to as “school consent” under COPPA). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about School Permission. A student’s parent/guardian has the right to withdraw consent at any time and request the removal of their data.
2. Data is maintained so it is up-to-date, accurate and secure.
3. The personal data collected by YouHue is student name, school name, mood logs (mood, description, time/date), educator name, educator email, and in some cases educator’s identification document.
4. Student records, student information, and student-generated content (collectively, “student data”) are not the property of, or under control of, YouHue.
5. Data processed by YouHue is used for the sole purpose of helping educators better understand the needs of their students and to help students better understand emotions, practice communicating about their emotions, and managing their individual needs.
6. YouHue does not share data with any third parties beyond (i) the student’s school, (ii) the YouHue data team, and (iii) a limited set of third-party service providers necessary to provide or develop our services (such as database hosting) or as required by law.
7. We protect your data, but it belongs to you. As a school representative, you have the right to contact us to ask questions about your students’ data, alert us to an issue with the data, request a copy of your students’ data, or request that your students’ data be removed. We respond to all requests within 7 business days (usually within 24 hours), and we comply with requests within 48 hours of confirming changes with the representative of the student’s school.
8. Procedures by which a student, parent, or guardian may (i) review personally identifiable information in student records, student information, or student-generated content and (ii) correct erroneous information, if any:
a. A student, parent, or guardian may contact the educator or administrator at their school who is responsible for the student’s participation in the YouHue program.
b. This educator or administrator can then request the materials from YouHue, or inform of the erroneous information to be corrected, via email at email@example.com.
c. YouHue will provide the materials, or confirmation of the correction, to the educator or administrator.
d. The educator or administrator passes the materials, or confirmation of the correction, on to the student, parent, or guardian.
9. YouHue shall take actions designed to ensure the security and confidentiality of student information, student records, and student-generated content. YouHue has never had a data breach and we operate using some of the most advanced data protection technology available. In the unlikely case a data breach occurs, the school of all impacted students will be notified within 7 days (most likely within 48 hours).
10. YouHue will notify the school’s point of contact immediately upon confirmation of an event when there has been an unauthorized release, disclosure, or acquisition of student information, student records, or student-generated content. The notification will be made through email and phone.
11. Student information, student records, or student-generated content shall not be retained or available to YouHue upon completion of the contracted services unless a school asks us for the purpose of storing student-generated content.
Please read this Policy carefully. Access to or use of any part of the Services will constitute your notice about our collection, use, and disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy. If you do not wish for us to collect, use, and disclose your information in accordance with this Policy, please do not access or use the Services.
By using the Services, you are consenting to:
1. the collection, use, and processing of information collected from the online accounts you connect to the Service;
3. the sharing of anonymous transaction information with third parties;
4. the sharing of personal information, including transaction information, with service providers and vendors;
This policy applies to information we collect:
a. through any of our Services;
b. in email, or other electronic messages between you and this App or Website;
c. through mobile and desktop applications you download from this App or Website or from an application merchant, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this App or Website.
d. when you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
This Policy applies solely to information collected by us through the Services and does not apply to any third-party activities, including third-party websites linked from our Services, third-party social networking platforms or features we make available through our Services, or third-party ads displayed on our Services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such third parties. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of those third parties.
YouHue is the responsible party or data controller regarding Personal Information collected through our Services. If you have any questions or concerns at any time about your data or privacy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We currently have two different levels of information:
1. Information collected about Students
2. Information collected about Educators
REGISTERING AN ACCOUNT
Creating Educator account: If a school or an educator chooses to use YouHue in school, they sign up for an educator account by providing their name, email address and password. They create or join their school and share an identification document with us for us to verify them as an educator of the chosen school. Multiple classrooms can be created, and multiple educators can be invited to join a school.
Schools which are classified into a paid category or otherwise, assign a school admin on our Services who is then responsible to verify educators into the school. Otherwise, educators who are not an admin can also verify new educators automatically when they invite new educators into their class. Our Admin Dashboard clearly states who verified who so that in case of a wrong educator verified into your school, that educator or any staff member already verified at your school is held responsible. When the YouHue team verifies an educator into your school, even that is made clearly visible to all the school admins.
Creating Student account: If a student’s school or educator elects to utilize student accounts in school or otherwise sets up a student’s account, the school will be responsible for obtaining any necessary parental consent under COPPA (including if they choose to act as the agent of the parent and consent on the parent’s behalf – commonly referred to as “school consent” under COPPA) to create the student account on behalf of the student and let students access their accounts. The educator will provide the student’s name to set up the account. After doing so, the educator will be able to share a passcode unique to each student. Each student requires a unique passcode to access their personal account within their class on YouHue. This passcode is randomly generated by YouHue when a student is added to a class by their educators. Educators may choose to edit this passcode to give students a different passcode. Students can access their account directly using the Class Access Code and their Passcode. We don’t ask students to enter any other personal information for their account registration when a teacher sets up their account. For more information on school consent, please see the FTC’s COPPA FAQ’s.
HOW DOES YOUHUE PROTECT CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Protecting children’s privacy is of utmost priority to us. We take many special precautions to protect the privacy of children:
1. At our websites, online services or apps intended for children, we do not collect personal contact information (like full name, e-mail address, phone number or home address) from children (the “Personal Information”).
2. We do not disclose any personal information about children to third parties, except to service providers necessary to provide the Service, as required by law, or to protect the security of the Service or other Subscribers.
3. We collect some information (like IP address, mobile device UDID, operating system, etc.) automatically and use technology like cookies to provide functionality and support our operations. YouHue does not permit interest-based advertising on Sites or Apps directed to children.
4. We do not ask for more Personal Information than is necessary for a child to participate in an activity.
5. We do not allow children to post or publicly disclose Personal Information.
6. Information collected is never used or disclosed for third-party advertising or for any behaviorally targeted advertising, and children’s personal information is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers or advertisers.
7. If we discover that we have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA, we will take appropriate steps to either delete the information, or immediately notify the school for that collection.
1. Educators let the parent know through the YouHue Permission Form that the parent’s consent is required for the collection, use, or disclosure of any personal contact information for the child (the “Personal Information”), and that we will not collect, use, or disclose any Personal Information from the child if the parent does not provide such consent (unless the school chooses to act as the agent of the parent and consent on the parent’s behalf – commonly referred to as “school consent” under COPPA);
2. We set forth the additional items of Personal Information that we may collect from the child, or the potential opportunities for the disclosure of Personal Information, should the parent provide consent; and
WHAT STUDENTS’ INFORMATION IS VISIBLE TO OTHERS?
YouHue is a platform that allows Students to share information about their current moods to an Educator. Students’ mood logs may be shared with their teachers, school counselors, or school leaders at the school’s discretion or by seeking parental consent. That is all. No personal information about students will be made public, ever.
HOW LONG DOES YOUHUE KEEP STUDENTS’ INFORMATION?
We only keep a Student’s personal information for as long as their account is active unless we are required by law to retain it or to enforce our Terms. We follow two principles for Student accounts deletion:
1. One-year deletion policy for mood logs: To protect students, YouHue sets limits on how long student’s mood statuses are retained. For all students, mood logs older than 12 months are automatically deleted, unless their school asks us to retain them by letting us know in writing.
2. Deleting inactive accounts: If a student’s account is inactive for twelve months or more (meaning the student has not given a mood status update for twelve months or more) YouHue will automatically delete the student account, including all personal information provided by the Educators of the Students.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
There are currently two categories of Users on our Service: Educator and Student.
For Educator, we collect and store the following types of information:
Account Sign-up and Profile Information
Educator Name and Email — We collect the name and email of educator, when they sign up for our Services, register interest on our website, contact us on our website, or when existing educators invite other educators in their school from within the app. We use the emails to keep in touch with our educators about our Services and ask them for feedback on how we’re doing and how else we can help.
Password — Educators create a password on YouHue to secure their account and log in privately. They do this when signing up, or by using the password reset feature.
School/Organization Information — A teacher, school leader, or counselor provides the name of their school or organization when creating their school upon sign up. This info is associated with their accounts and with student accounts. Having school information helps us create connections within a school community to support with program implementation and it helps us associate each teacher, student, and class with the correct school community.
Educator identification document – Sometimes we will need to verify that the educator joining a new or an existing school belongs to the school they are requesting to join. For this, we collect educators’ school ID or any form of documentation that shows their name, title and school.
When you choose to provide us with your personal information through the Service in some other manner (e.g., when you send us an email asking a question, submit a support request, participate in a video testimonial about our Service, or choose to participate in any research efforts with YouHue to improve the Service).
For Student, we collect and store the following types of information:
Student First and Last Name (or first name + last initial, or simply initials) – It is up to the educators what name they want to register their student as. It is for the educators to identify each of their students on YouHue and so students can see their educators on YouHue. Educators enter students’ names themselves in the YouHue Admin Dashboard. Student names are only used in the app and the reports downloaded by educators, or emails sent to educators or if educators send a login instructions email to the student.
Mood logs — YouHue uses mood tracking to help students understand emotions and communicate them to their educators. Each mood log consists of a mood name, mood tags, mood description (as entered by the student) and a date/time. Logs are stored in the student’s journal so they can reflect on logs to understand the causes and effects of emotions. Logs are also shared with the student’s educators to help them understand the student’s needs, as well as how they can better connect for learning and wellness.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY
The technologies and information we automatically collect include:
1. Cookies and other similar technologies: A cookie consist of information sent by a web server to a web browser and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser. We (or our service providers) may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Service. We may also use, collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage. Like many services, YouHue uses these technologies to tailor the Service for you, and to help the Service work better for you.
2. Device information: We collect device-specific information such as your operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing, improve YouHue for you on your device, and send you push notifications if you’ve opted in to receive them.
3. Log information: Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples include things like: Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your use of the YouHue App; IP Address; Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL. This information helps us make decisions about what we should work on next – for example, by showing which features are popular.
HOW DOES YOUHUE USE THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS?
We may use the Information we collect to:
1. Administer the Services
2. Improve your browsing experience by the Services
3. Enable your access and use of parts of the Services
4. Send you general (non-marketing) commercial communications
5. Send you email notifications, which you have specifically requested
6. Send you our newsletter and other marketing communications relating to our business, which we think may of interest to you, by post or, where you have specifically agreed, by email
7. Deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the Services
8. Anonymous data may be used in internal business purposes or marketing /press purposes or its publication in the press
9. Provide and improve the Services, for example by developing new products and features
10. To protect our community by making sure the Services remain safe and secure
We will not use your Information to:
1. Provide to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing, without your express consent
2. For marketing purposes, without your express consent
3. YouHue does not permit marketing directed to children under 13 or where we have actual knowledge that a child is under 13
4. We never share Personal Information that we receive online from or about children under 13 with third parties
We do not sell or rent any of your (or your student’s) personal information to any third-party for any purpose – including for advertising or marketing purposes. We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best YouHue experience.
WILL YOUHUE SHARE ANY INFORMATION IT COLLECTS?
1. Other Subscribers You Share and Communicate with on YouHue: No profiles are made available to the public through the Services. Students’ mood logs are only shown to Users who have the right to view them, i) the student’s school, ii) the student’s parent/guardian (if requested), and iii) the YouHue data team.
2. Third-party integrations on our Service: When you use third-party apps, websites or other services that may use, or be integrated with, our Service, they may receive information about what you post or share. Information collected by these apps, websites or integrated services is subject to their own terms and policies.
4. Analytics Services: We use analytics services, including mobile analytics software, to help us understand and improve how the Service is being used. These services may collect, store, and use information in order to help us understand things like how often you use the Service, the events that occur within the application, usage, performance data, and from where the application was downloaded. The analytics provider that we use is Google Analytics.
5. Aggregated Information and Non-Identifying Information: We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly, including with the press for example, to demonstrate how YouHue is used, spot industry trends, or to provide marketing materials for YouHue. Any aggregated information shared this way will not contain any personal information.
6. Legal Requirements: We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to comply with the law, such as complying with a subpoena or other legal process. We may need to disclose personal information where, in good faith, we think it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of YouHue, our employees, our community, or others, or to prevent violations of our Terms of Service or other agreements. This includes, without limitation, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection or responding to government requests. Please see our Disclosures Section Below.
8. With your consent: Other than the cases above, we won’t disclose your personal information for any purpose unless you consent to it. Additionally, as discussed above, we will never sell or rent your personal information to advertisers or other third parties.
This refers to disclosures to our employees, officers, agents, suppliers, or subcontractors insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes as set out below.
We may disclose your Information:
1. To the extent that we are required to do so by law;
2. In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
3. In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
4. To the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling;
5. To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that Personal Information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that Personal Information.
6. For the purposes of a business deal (or negotiation of a business deal) involving sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets (business deals may include, for example, any merger, financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution transaction or proceeding). In the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, personal information may also be transferred as a business asset. If another company acquires our company, business, or assets, that company will possess the personal information collected by us and will assume the rights and obligations regarding your personal information as described in this Policy.
8. In the unlikely event that YouHue goes out of business, or files for bankruptcy, we will protect your personal information, and will not sell it to any third party.
HOW DOES YOUHUE PROTECT AND SECURE MY INFORMATION?
We take all reasonable technical and organizational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse, or alteration of your Information. We store all the Information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall-protected) servers. In addition, your YouHue account is protected by a password. We will not ask you for your password except when you log into YouHue. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We work hard to protect our community, and we maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of or access to personal information. In particular:
1. Our engineering team is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure
2. We periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems
3. We continually develop and implement features to keep your personal information safe – for example, when you enter any information anywhere on the Services, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL/TLS) by default
4. We ensure passwords are stored and transferred securely using encryption
5. We automatically delete inactive accounts after a specific period of time
Data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the full security of data sent over the internet. Although we make concerted good faith efforts to maintain the security of personal information, and we work hard to ensure the integrity and security of our systems, no practices are 100% sure. Outages, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that you can take appropriate protective steps; for example, we may post a notice on our homepage (www.youhue.com) or elsewhere on the Service, and may send email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
YouHue is hosted in the United States. If you use the Service from the European Union, or any other region with laws governing data collection, protection and use that may differ from United States law, please note that you may be transferring your personal information outside of those jurisdictions to the United States. Where we transfer, store and process your personal information outside of the European Union or EEA, we have ensured that appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure an adequate level of protection for the rights of data subjects based on the adequacy of the receiving country’s data protection laws.
HOW CAN I ACCESS AND MANAGE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
YouHue aims to provide you with easy access to any personal information we have collected about you. If that information is incorrect, we give you easy ways to update it, or to delete it, unless we must keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes.
You may update, correct, or delete some of your (or your Student’s) profile information or your preferences at any time by logging into your account on YouHue and accessing your account settings page. You may have to verify your identity before you can do that. You may also, at any time, update, correct, or delete certain personal information that you have provided to us by contacting us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within 48 hours. Please note that while your changes may be reflected promptly in active content, users that have previously accessed the content may still have access to old copies cached on their device or may have copied and stored your content. In addition, we may retain a backup copy of the prior version for a limited period or for legal purposes.
HOW CAN I DELETE MY ACCOUNT?
If you ever want to delete your YouHue account, you can do that at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Student accounts can be deleted by you from within your admin dashboard.
When you delete your account, we delete your profile information and any other content you provide in your profile (such as your email address). Information that you have shared with others, others have shared about you, or content other users may have copied and stored, is not part of your account and may not be deleted when you delete your account.
WHAT COMMUNICATIONS WILL I RECEIVE FROM YOUHUE?
If you registered on YouHue, provided an email to us, or otherwise opted-in to receive communications from us, we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features or services from YouHue. These communications may include, but are not limited to, social media updates, push notifications, email, and postal mail. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your email address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise during business.
We may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us if your device supports it. We use this confirmation to help us understand which emails are most interesting and helpful. You can always unsubscribe from receiving any of our email or other communications whenever you’d like by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any YouHue email, or by sending an email to email@example.com.
The Services may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third-party websites.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits Subscribers of our software and services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS
Some web browsers may transmit “Do Not Track” signals to the websites and other online services with which your web browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites should do if they receive these signals. YouHue currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” browser signals or similar mechanisms. If and when a standard is established, we may revise our policy on responding to these signals. Third parties may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across sites when you visit the Sites or use the YouHue Service.
Our Services are owned and operated by or on behalf of YouHue FZ-LLC, with offices at:
SD2-99, Ground Floor
Building 16, Dubai Internet City
P.O Box: 73030
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
A SPECIAL NOTE FOR PARENTS AND LEGAL GUARDIANS
Please help us protect your children’s privacy by instructing them never to provide Personal Information (like their full name, e-mail address, etc.) without your permission.
If you have any concerns, please email us at email@example.com.
A SPECIAL NOTE TO KIDS
If you are under 13, you should get your parent’s, legal guardian’s, or school’s permission before giving out your contact information, like e-mail address or phone number, or any other Personal Information, to YouHue or to anyone else.